View Single Post
Old 01-30-03, 07:25 AM
akshobhyavajra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dutchy
This brings me to the question of why do people get such joy from "dropping roadies" as is often reported on various cycling forums.

ie. I dropped a roadie on a $5,000 bike and man he was slow, never saw him again!

I don't get the hostility that some riders like to dispense about someone they know nothing about.

Why should I have to ride an older bike for the slow days? Why can't I ride my race bike for these days? I am out there for an 1-2 hours on the slow days, so I still wear knicks and a jersey, does this now make me a poser because I am riding slow?

There is way too much hostility in cycling! Ride and mind your own business.

CHEERS.

Mark

Mark,

Some good points. IMO true competitiveness is striving to be the best you can be and work hard toward that goal. I look at Armstrong as an example to follow. I - too - recovered from a life threatening condition - and took up cycling. Gradually I learned more about proper nutrition, food intake, a balanced workout, etc and I ride as hard and long as I can with consistency.

The unk riders I may pass I pass - it means absolutely nothing - since I know nothing about them, their life or their reasons for riding. We should be happy for people who ride and are putting forth an effort.

In the final anaysis much of it boils down to human pride and emotional immaturity - which is based in fear and insecurity. Add to this jealousy in some cases - because someone can afford a nice bike.

As I said to someone else - last time I checked UCI rankings were not a requirement for owning a nice bike - I saved up 1 1/2 years to get a Colnago Master-X - and that's nothing special around my area - where guys ride around on C-40s like there's been a firesale. More power to you if you can just whip out a checkbook and buy $5k rig. I started out on a cheap Huffy - and guess what - I was proud of that stupid thing !!!

Ride and mind your own business is not a bad motto - though I try to say "hello" when I meet others along the way

Happy riding,

~Michael~