Old 05-13-14, 09:47 AM
zrossiter
A T G S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Your adjuster at Nationwide is wrong. Lots of times they don't understand their own coverage. UM clearly applies in Ohio to personal injuries you suffer when hit by an at fault, uninsured driver of a motor vehicle, regardless of whether you are in a car or not.

['[Uninsured motorist] coverage is portable: The insured and family members [***49] * * * are insured no matter where they are injured. They are insured when injured in an owned vehicle named in the policy, in an owned vehicle not named in the policy, in an unowned vehicle, on a motorcycle, on a bicycle, whether afoot or on horseback or even on a pogo stick'

Ohayon v. Safeco Ins. Co., 91 Ohio St. 3d 474

You are an insured under your policy because you are a named insured, and there's coverage for the incident because you were hit by a motor vehicle driven by an uninsured motorist (assuming that she in fact does not have coverage).

See also.; Weinberg v. Doe, 129 Ohio App. 3d 586

McDonald v. Motorists Mut. Ins. Co., 2006-Ohio-1843; 2006 Ohio App. LEXIS 1685
That is what I thought, I left a message for the claims person and told them to call me back and to provide, in writing, my coverage.

My worry is that if my insurance isn't on the hook for anything (which hopefully they are at least the medical), then they have no real motivation to go after the owner/driver of the vehicle