Old 05-13-14, 04:25 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by emeralds
Is this possible/easy or will I just make an ass of myself bringing mine over and requesting this at the bike shop? The one closest to me have never worked on folding bikes so I also want to avoid actually having it potentially messed up. And yeah I know both the coaster and front break are suggested but I never remember to actually use the coaster under any circumstances anyway.
Folding bike or not I haven't come across many mechanics these days who have much experience working on coaster brakes anyway. IMHO it's more of a hassle to accomplish what you would like to do than it's worth. Your options, as Azreal911 pointed out, would cost money yet you'd still be left with a single speed but no rear brakes. If you don't use your rear brakes now that's fine, at least you'll have some sort of braking option if your front brakes should fail for whatever reason. The only "advantage" to changing over to a non-coasterbrake rear is being able to back pedal at a stop and orient your "launch" pedal to the optimum position for take-off. But that can still easily be accomplished at a stop by applying your front brake, pushing forward on your handlebars to lift the rear wheel off the ground and pedal forward until your launch pedal is near the top of it's rotation.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 05-13-14 at 04:28 PM.