Old 05-14-14, 04:28 PM
Lesper4

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crazy day on the mountain last Sunday. It was the windiest it has even been up on GRR during a ride, felt more like a winter storm. Usually it is windy down in the valley/foothills but not that bad in the mountains.

Coming up Little GMR three other riders started behind me, one beat me to the top but just a few seconds but the second guy was actually blown off his bike, all the way across the turn and then he had to unclip in the dirt. Crazy winds from all directions. Some times it actually blew me up hill with out pedaling. One I was on the ridge the wind continued, not as strong a head wind or tail wind but more of a cross winds and it caused all kinds of small to large rock debris to fall on the road. The mountain roads were closed from East Fork to GMR to Baldy so it was just us cyclists.

Crazy thing is the wind dried all my sweat so I never got hot. Going to Icehouse Canyon was some what pleasant but I had a small headwind. The switchbacks were also not to bad if that makes sense. But as soon as I got over the switch backs the wind was howling in the trees. Sounded like some branches may snap? and the Headwind was ridiculous and COLD. I only ride this route about once a year and even with the headwinds I got PR's Going to have to ride this again to see what kind of real number is can get.

At the top I got a soda and some ships and warmed up in the sun. On the way down I was actually shaving with chattering teeth. By the village I was warmer. The descent was much smoother then in the past even with a chip seal. All the expansion joints were smoothed out.
Bike Ride Profile | 5/11/14 Mt Baldy (ski lifts) Century near Rancho Cucamonga | Times and Records | Strava

This week I am riding up to Wrightwood form Cajon Pass to watch the pros and the following week I am going to Wrightwood form Encanto/39. And then after that is ESD, lets all pray for good weather (knock on wood).