View Single Post
Old 05-14-14, 07:25 PM
the_tool_man

Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, lots of responses. I really appreciate that.

Visibility: I don't think the problem is that the drivers can't see me. The problem is that they don't like being delayed for a minute in order to wait for a safe time to pass. Even so, more lights couldn't hurt, and might garner some sympathy. Maybe I could rig up a flexible boom with a light on it that would force cars to pass me with more clearance, like the Safety Wing linked above.

Route/time: If I were to go the long way, I'd pass the schools between 6:30am and 7:00am. This is a VERY busy time for the schools; probably the worst possible time for me to come riding by. Going into work earlier is doable on some days, schedule wise (my employer NEVER minds if I come in early). But that would also probably mean I could go my original route, as commuter traffic would be lighter. I can certainly experiment with that. But it won't work for me every day, due to my schedule. Indecently, I sometimes take the long route home past the schools. By that time of day, they're deserted.

Trails through the woods: In years past, I've explored several potential routes using paths through the woods in this area. I haven't tried the one in the satellite image. But all the others have not worked due to private property, terrain, and rivers. I'll check it out, but I suspect the river in the bottom of that valley will present a problem.

Someone mentioned Reidville Rd. That does indeed have bike lanes. It is part of my route, as well. But, it doesn't go past where I work.

Keep the ideas coming.

Last edited by the_tool_man; 05-14-14 at 07:33 PM.