View Single Post
Old 05-14-14, 09:52 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I don’t want to get metaphysical about what characterizes my life…

Originally Posted by gerv
I like your concept of accruing energy... it's like becoming fit gives you such potential... which it really does!

But doesn't it pile up a lot of good energy also (like good Karma...)? Your thoughts and ideas about why you are cycling reverberate to all those around you. Or am I wrong?
Is that a metaphysical question…? ...or a rhetorical question? ...or a question at all?

In any case, IMO the way my cycling karma, or aura or whatever effects others around me is that I get a lot of respect from non-cyclists. I have even been called a saint. Most people I encounter who know of my cycling though do use it as a social pleasantry or a virtual greeting, e.g. “Did you ride in today?”. In fancy social situations I’m invariably asked “Did you ride your bike here?.”

On the other hand, I frequently ask people, even those I’ve just met, “Where do you live, if I may ask?” and quickly add that I cycle so much that I probably have ridden in their neighborhood. It’s a great icebreaker, and attests to this post:

Originally Posted by Machka
…And there's an element of fun and adventure in there too …Close to home, being car light or car free has encouraged me to explore my local area. It can be a bit of an adventure to see where this road leads and that road goes, and the lengthen my cycling distances to go further afield.
The only hostility I can recall is by acquaintances who fear they can hit a cyclist on the road, especially in bad wether conditions. Nonetheless, I have learned from these rants, to meet them with a declaration of all the safety habits I employ, and remind myself to practice them.

Among serious cyclists I know, it’s a special bond, say no more.