Old 05-17-14, 08:26 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by europa
You really have to wonder about this bloke. In another thread (at least one, I suspect others), he's tried to claim that drop bars = an aggressive bike. FFS, they are only HANDLE FLAMIN" BARS and when it comes to bars for 'just starting out', they are the perfect choice.
Drop handlebars were originally designed for racing. That's why they were first introduce to the U.S. on English racing styled bicycles, Bloke! Racing with drops gives you the aerodynamic advantage of decreasing air resistance when either attempting to accelerate or maintain your current speed. When drop handlebars are used for their intended purpose, it is assumed that the cyclist is riding in a more aggressive position.

Track bikes are just that! They were made for racing on a track. If you've ever observed a track race, you would see that all of the track racers assume that standard aggressive cycling position for racing. It is indeed a very aggressive position. Judging by your post, I can only assume that you're currently holding that very position yourself, right now.

Sure, a newbie just might prefer a track bike drop bar, as opposed to a flat bar. However, being new and becoming acclimated to cycling within an urban environment, I would strongly urge him to avoid cycling in the drops, in preference of holding a more upright position. Of course, this is just my opinion. One that I am entitled to, just like you, yourself!

Fixed gear/SS means you only have one gear - no mystery in that though you'd wonder with some posts. Road drop bars, NOT track bars which are another beast completely, when fitted with a pair of road brake levers, provide the most hand positions you'll get on any set of bars.
Most track bars are not made to be fitted with brake levers. That's because they're usually not quite as wide, leaving less space to fit brake levers (though it's often done). However, road bikes are quite adept at accommodating brake levers on the wider drop bars. Nonetheless, that doesn't matter, the point remains that sporting either on your bike, provides the cyclist a more aero position when cycling.

You DO NOT have to set them up miles below your saddle and this is where WestPablo gets himself all confused because he imagines that road bars = an aggressive riding position (actually, he imagines it means an aggressive frame but that's nonsense as shown in another thread).
All of the embolden portion of this statement is a lie. If not, prove it!

My own bikes wear road bars set at more or less the same height as the saddle and don't even pretend to be aggressive. Not only is this comfortable, it gives a variety of hand positions and seating positions.
Most road bikes are equipped with drop bars, for the aero position option. Most road bike frames are designed with a more aggressive riding position in mind, with the weight of the cyclist shifted forward.

Yeah, and who doesn't know about the variety of hand positions afforded to the cyclist with drop bars? That was just one of my fundamental points in the thread that you aforementioned.

For this reason alone, they are a better choice than any other choice of bars.
Maybe for you! However, many people find them to be uncomfortable, because they cause them back pain and undue stress. Besides, they're inadvisable for much urban cycling, because you'd need a more upright sitting position so that you can better observe traffic!

If you are spending 90% of your time on the hoods, you are not riding efficiently and your bike is probably poorly set up because on an efficient bike, you can and do change hand positions fairly often to even out the wear on your body.
I spend 90% of my time on the hoods, because 90% of the time, I'm commuting where I need to see more vehicles in dense traffic. I can't afford to have my head buried below car tops and truck beds. That would not only be dangerous, but stupid, as well!

Apart from the variety of hand positions, where road drops really come into their own on a fg/ss bike is when you hit a head wind. On a geared bike, you simply go down a gear or two. You can't do that with our bikes however, simply going onto the drops reduces your aerodynamic drag and it's like having another gear in your back pocket. True, you need to have your bike set up properly to take advantage of it but that's just part of the skill of bike fit and even fat old gits like me appreciate that lower gear when the need presents.
Glad to see that you know when to go down a gear or two, Fat Guy! However, your original point was that the track bar was the preferred bar on a track bike when sporting brake levers. Now, you appear to be saying that drop bars are preferred. Do you even know the point your trying to make here? ...Do you even know the difference between a track bar and a drop bar, yourself?

www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixedgear/28787-cowhorns-vs-track-bars-road-bars.html

Last edited by WestPablo; 05-17-14 at 08:08 PM.