View Single Post
Old 05-17-14, 10:32 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
...get a couple of mirrors...
YES! (At least one).

...wear the brightest high-vis I could find...
Couldn't hurt, but not totally necessary.

...and the brightest rear light possible, which is going to be a Dinotte...
OH HELL YES!

My Dinotte changed my life. I bought it for city use when I noticed how many people were looking at their phones behind the wheel.

The farther back cars can see you, the more time they have to react and decide what to do.
Exactly.

...I can clearly see cars changing lanes 1/4 mile behind me....
My experience as well.

When I first started commuting I got a mirror for my helmet. That by far made the biggest difference to my confidence on the road.
Takes the "unknown monster" and makes it known and visible to you. Knowing you are going to get buzzed ahead of time takes a lot of the fear and danger out of the situation. You see the car coming up and not moving over, you hold your line, the car passes. Lather, rinse, repeat. Then when nothing is roaring up behind you it is ok to relax and recover your nerve for the next assault. A mirror also keeps you from riding in the trash close to the edge of the road surface unless it is absolutely necessary.

Another good trick to know also requires a mirror to be effective. With mirror attached, ride about two feet off the edge of the tarmac IN the lane. Hold your ground when cars approach keeping an eye on them in the mirror. If some knucklehead is obviously going to buzz you, let them get fairly close THEN move to the edge. This adds 2 feet to the amount of space they were going to give you.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-17-14 at 10:38 AM.