View Single Post
Old 05-17-14, 09:02 PM
mannie3moon

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent; Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live within 6 miles of most destinations, so I cycle mainly for commuting purposes. If you see me on my bike, I'm probably headed to work, to the grocery store, to the bank, to the post office, to the movies, or to somewhere downtown. The mall and other stores are all on major six-lane highways at the other end of town, so I drive there if I need to go. I only use the main highways if it's before 7am. If it's later in the day, I'll take a different route so I don’t have to deal with lots of car traffic. So far, though, all the motorists have been courteous—I ride like I drive, and I’m fine. I don’t typically start out when it’s raining, but I have ridden home in the pouring rain on many occasions, and it really is quite a treat!

City cycling's a lot of fun, and offers a view and orientation of the city that I would never have gotten had I continued to drive my car everywhere. I don't have to hunt for a parking space. I don't have to pay for a parking space. I don't feel hungry after I ride. I don't feel bad about my car not having a sunroof.

I also have a roadie that I ride on the dedicated bicycle trail just for fun. It was actually the first bike that I bought, but I didn't want to worry about my $800 baby getting stolen if I left her parked outside for any amount of time, so I bought my less expensive commuter to zip around town with. I haven’t lost any weight (yet), but it’s done wonders for my mental health.