View Single Post
Old 10-12-05, 02:33 PM
John Wilke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SandySwimmer

Now, I am dealing with social implications of an accident. First of all, I learned it is easier to go through a (minor) accident than witness it. The pedestrians and the driver were all on the verge of tears while they were coming to my aid (I was startled more than injured).

Within the two hours of the accident, when I went into the bike shop the guys who work there all told me about being backed over by cars, swerves, and near-misses.

I know a lot of it is out of human compassion and concern, but the stories I am hearing are stressing me out. My actual accident wasn't bad, but lots of people are expressing their fears to me.
Try not to let the stories stress you out, but learn from other's experiences, try not to repeat what _someone else_ has already experienced, and be wiser from their mistakes.

Back in early August I was run down from behind by a hit and run driver in an SUV. I was hurt rather badly, spent two weeks in the hospital, and while I'm not fully recovered yet, at least I am alive.

My experience has challenged my love for the sport and demolished any trust I had of drivers on the road. The first couple times riding in a car as a passenger freaked me out. The first time I drove my car, I didn't go over 20 miles an hour. I haven't been able to ride yet, but that will be an interesting experience too I'm sure. Oh yeah, I'm a 45 year old man who raced for 11 years and has spent a LOT of time riding.

My crash opened my eyes as to just how badly 99% of drivers speed, cut people off, fail to stop appropriately, and are just plain aggressive. Drivers in general SUCK, and they don't care.

I don't remember anything from my crash and have only eyewitness accounts of what happened, so it's hard for me to know what to change in my case. But I have done a lot of reading in these forums and on the internet about safe riding practice and crashes of other people so I don't have a repeat of my ordeal.

I am going to be more diligent about wearing BRIGHT clothing in the future (does anyone make BLAZE ORANGE jerseys???? ) and am going to pick my routes carefully.

It's a great sport and can do a lot for you ... just be smart in your approach to it.

John Wilke
Milwaukee