Old 05-18-14, 04:19 PM
calyco

Bikes: Jamis Icon Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoxe
Your price range is a mile wide. What calls to you? Do you want flashy and loud with a lot of racey logos or something more subdued in the hipster urban motif, maybe a steel frame semi-retro theme? Do you want a mainstream brand (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc.) or something a little more off the beaten path from a smaller line? You commute 20 miles; do you need a lot of frame mounts for racks and bags and stuff? What other riding do you do? -- do you intend to do any centuries? Cyclocross? Charity Rides? Club Rides?

As @clausen says, most bikes (properly fitted) in your price range are going to be great. But we live in a biking world where there's layers upon layers of specialization, and finding the bike that takes your breath away is part of the fun.
I would like to stay under $1500. Regarding aesthetics I like something a little more low key, like the CAAD10 5 105 in black or the CAAD10 black inc (not the price lol). I just got back into riding last year so solo at the moment.. for exercise but mainly because I just enjoy it too Nothing will be added to the frame. I understand the fit issue, I bought my hybrid from local LBS and will prob go back there. They have all the mainstream brands you mentioned so I guess I will stick with those three. They have free lifetime service so thats a plus.

I wanted to get a feel of what models I should be looking at for a first road bike and how much I should spend. I want something for long term, prob will not upgrade much. So from what I've read, I should be going for 105s? Any opinions on SRAM vs Shimano shifters?