bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
A little bit less car

I live 5.5 miles from my work, weather down here is favorable for year round commuting, I've got the cycling fitness to ride most places I care to go. I can work from anywhere that has broadband Internet as long as I'm at my customers shop a couple of times a week. My customer's place of business is very bike friendly. I can wear anything and smell like a goat and it's okay. I easily carry my very small laptop in a string backpack. Writing this helps me to realize I've got no excuses. I need a better head light, some kind of rain jacket that folds into a very small size, and some fenders.

I'm on my 8th day of not driving my car with one exception. My friend left on a New York to California cycling adventure and we had a departure party. I drove my car to the party. I don't have a "see" headlight and I'm a bit scared of one section of road between my home and town. I ride it during the day but have not tackled it at night yet. I've also enjoyed 8 days of near perfect weather.

My wife and I have two Hondas and I can easily afford our life style. She'd never go car free, and the thought of us owning one car is very unsettling for her. I have to admit the mental commitment to not drive has been an interesting challenge for me. It's like I need to know my car is only X miles away and I can reach it if I need too. Funny how I've managed to program myself.

I look inward for what my motivation is? Sadly it's not to save the planet or live healthier. I really enjoy riding a bike. I get an extra thrill out of riding my bike for actual transportation as opposed to just riding for the sake of the ride. I also enjoy thinking about living in a more simple manner. When I cancel an Insurance policy it's a very happy moment, I recently got rid of a couple of things that required Insurance.

I haven't bought gas in over 3 weeks, for some reason this seems important........Small steps