Old 05-19-14, 11:33 AM
H3NDRIX

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 Rival, Haro V4 frame with Fox fork and XT components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Welcome to the forum. Cycling and diet (lifestyle, not "going on a diet") can be a great way to shed the weight.

As far as bikes, your weight will not stop you from riding any bike out there. You'll get a variety of opinions as to wheels, however, there are many clydes riding on stock, low spoke-count wheels with great success. Just ask the LBS to tension them when you buy it then after a couple hundred miles. IMO, ride them until you need to replace them.

As far as what bike, the best thing you can do is go ride as many as you can. Keep in mind, in "road" bikes, or those that look like them, you have race, relaxed, tri and cyclocross. I'd rule the tri bikes out right away. They're not setup for long distance riding comfort. Cyclocross can be a good choice, especially if you want to ride some light trails or fire roads. Race geometry is more aggressive than relaxed. Race leans you over further. Relaxed leaves you in a slightly more upright position - though nothing like a hybrid or MTB.

I would start by riding all the relaxed and race bikes you can, and all manufacturers make them. It's amazing how they can vary in feel. In one day, I rode a Specialized Roubaix, Canondale Synapse Carbon, Felt Z, and a couple of levels of Giant Defy (carbon). The Defy was by far the best bike I rode....FOR ME. Others swear by their Roubaix's, or Synapse, or.......whatever they like the ride the best of. Whatever it is, the more you like the ride, the more you ride the bike.

See if you can do longer test-rides, especially of the final choices. A spin around the parking lot does virtually nothing to tell you how it rides.

In your price range, you'll be looking at aluminum with carbon forks. There are plenty of good choices.

If you find one bike at one shop that is as good for you as another bike at another shop, you should consider the shop as part of the decision. Were they supportive? Helpful? Give you a good vibe? That's important for future support.

Good luck on the hunt.
Thanks for some great info! The giant defy was actually one of the bikes I had on my radar. Looked like a nice bike and nice price.

I was under the impression that I would have to swap out the wheels on any bike I bought, but was hoping that is not the case. I will be heading to my LBS in the next day or two to begin sizing and finding bikes.

Are Carbon forks something I would want to make sure the bike has?

Last edited by H3NDRIX; 05-19-14 at 12:05 PM.