View Single Post
Old 05-19-14, 01:32 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Niloc
Yes, for my tastes 10-spd 11-28 is a huge spread as well. On long rides with rollers and flats as well as hills, it's nice to have tight gearing in the middle where you do a lot of your pedaling. Shifting up or down a tooth or two in the rear to dial in your speed to your preferred cadence is useful. Helpful for maintaining even speeds in pacelines. The pros generally ride tight cassettes for this reason, and unlike us mere mortals, can power up the long climbs on a 39-4/23-5 or whatever. Being a mere mortal living in a mountainous locale, I use a triple to keep the tight gearing and still get up the hills. There isn't much you can't do with a 52/42/30 x 13-26. Ok a triple weighs a bit more than a double, but c'mon fart before your ride or something. It doesn't look as manly go-fast as a double which I suspect is the main reason they are not more popular. My cassette is 9-spd. If I went to 10-spd, and I see no need, but if I did I'd either stick with the 13-26 or maybe get a 12-25 and have even a hair tighter gearing than I have now.
+1. 11/28 sucks for me, even 50/34 sucks. Looks like all 3 of us are from Seattle so probably ride similar conditions. My everyday setup is 50/36 with a 12-27. Heck, I did Zoo Hill last weekend with my 36x27 low gear. If you ride fast in groups tight gears are nice to have. Jumps in cadence with wide cassettes are annoying to me.