View Single Post
Old 05-19-14, 07:09 PM
Smokehouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
So what happened with your HR, cadence and speed comparing the 27 and 28 for the same climb?
There's always one in the bunch...and you are it this time.

Look up Illini drive climb on strava. My name is Jonathan Lovelace and I'm sitting at a mediocre #5 on that climb. It is a super short, really steep sucker and stinks. I've taken it MANY times due to the fact it is so close to my house.

I've taken it enough times to know I can spin in 36-28, downshift 1 to 36-24 and get out of saddle.

Try as I may...the 36-30 was just to much spin for my liking and 27 was making my ass burn to a crisp. 28, although tough, seems to be a better spot for the "sit and spin" portion of that hill. I also liked the single jump to 24 for out of saddle vs the 2 clicks it takes to get there on the 12-30. Call BS all you like, I've ridden it enough to know what I prefer.

You can poke at me all you want...I never said it was "make or break"...I said I prefer 28 over 27 and I do. If 1 tooth made no difference why do so many sets stair step in 1-tooth increments?

I didnt drop good $$ on a 12-30 6700 cassette just to ride it once and shelve it...good grief, I did try.

in other words...that's all the explanation I'm going to give so poke at me all you like, I'm not going answer in depth again.