Thread: Lawyer lips.
View Single Post
Old 05-20-14, 06:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
So making people "fiddle even more" (read: "misuse") with their QR makes things better?

With a proper QR set, you just open or close the lever... with LL, you have to fiddle with the screw arrangement and change the tension every time you remove a wheel, thus requiring more potential "misuse" of the QR and a greater chance for failure.
back at the time there was an alternate idea to secondary retension. It was set and forget skewers. The idea is the at mechanics would adjust and lock the nut in place, by any of a number of needs. The lock system would be secure, so the ONLY option was to use the QR lever as intended. I still use a variation on this (nuts can be moved, but take some force) and think it's a smarter approach. But it has a serious drawback, in that fork tips vary in thickness so there's the risk of failure if a wheel is moved bike to bike.

There have been many ideas over the years, but none are perfect. QRs are another example where the knowledgeable are inconvenienced (at best) in order to protect the incompetent. Welcome to the 21st century.

The QR question i

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.