Old 05-22-14, 10:43 AM
bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
I do the opposite. I use drop bars -- or when I use flat bars I am still in pretty much the same forward leaning position. It takes the pressure off of my back.

If I am sitting in an upright position (like on a comfort bike), then all the stress and strain ends up on the spinal column trying to stay upright. But since I have a scoliosis (meaning my spine has a couple bends in it) that doesn't work well because the small muscles that support the spinal column take the strain and soon start to spasm...

As for exercises: core work such as Pilates is the only thing that helps. But I also find it equally important to stretch out my hips, lower back and upper back pretty much on a daily basis.

edit to add: The stretching and strengthening is critical -- but it must be done almost daily as a preventative rather than an after the fact remediation. After the muscles spasm and start squeezing on the nerves the only thing that works are drugs and medical procedures (like electrical stimulation)...

My personal belief is that MOST back problems are the result of poor conditioning. The spine in NOT a bone that supports your shoulders. It is just a stack of building block called vertebrae. It is the muscles and tendons that keep them stacked in line (or not!). Take care of the muscles and tendons and they will keep your vertebrae in line!
Interesting thread here.
I have scoliosis problems too. I always had some problems with my thorax and back, and since a few years my hips got injured a lot of times.
At the hospital, they couldn't get a clear diagnose what problem it was. They talked about a little scoliosis, but send me to a physiotherapist who on his turn said I had piriformis syndrome in my hip.
Anyhow... bought myself some stretching books from Kit Laughlin: "Stretching and Flexibility" and "Overcoming neck and back pain". Very good books I can recommend everyone with the same issues.
Stretching is indeed such an important exercise.

I didn't think about this issue before when I bought my last bike for commuting. I have an old Dutch style comfort bike... probably the least good bike to ride with when having scoliosis problems.
Haven't used drop bars before.