Old 05-23-14, 11:58 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
Some portion of every state’s driver license test should be dedicated to questions asked about cars and bicycles coexisting on the roadways however, such likely isn’t the case.
It is my understanding that Ontario (Canada) will be (or has already) changing the licence exams to require more knowledge of cyclist's road rights.

Originally Posted by Gnosis
When I obtained my driver’s license back in 1973, nothing was asked about bicycles coexisting with cars on roadways. THERE’S where the problem originates; inappropriate teaching and testing to obtain a driver’s license for a combustion engine vehicle.
Both my father and father-in-law turned 80 within the last 6 months and, both being good drivers, underwent licencing exams for the first time since they got their licences (at least 50 yrs ago). Many laws have changed since then. I think that perhaps, in order to renew your licence, a driver needs to take a written test which will enable the government to identify new laws or emphasize changes in situations such as more cyclists = greater awareness of their rights.