View Single Post
Old 05-23-14, 01:39 PM
stephtu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JakiChan
tl;dr - If I train for a event I don't seem to lose weight.

high my appetite goes bonkers. ALC doesn't want you to diet, as a matter of fact. "Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty." The My Fitness Pal data says I should be losing weight. But I'm not.
If you want to lose more weight (194 is tremendous, great progress so far!), you have to adjust your diet further, no getting around that (calorie level that had healthy deficit when you were much larger obviously is no longer deficit at current weight, plus having lost so much your metabolism is probably somewhat lower than people starting their loss at your current weight). Can't out-ride a bad diet. If you aren't losing weight although MFP says you should be, that simply means that MFP's estimates for the number of calories you are burning are way too high, this is typical. MFP might say you are burning 800 calories per hour, while reality may be only 450. Plus your measurements of calories ingested may be low, most people underestimate.

You have to find a way so that you aren't overcompensating with eating more because of the training. Really there's no need to eat anything for rides around 2-2.5 hours, depending on intensity. Try doing some shorter rides in a fasted state, on water only. For longer rides go ahead and eat ~250 calories per hour so you don't bonk, but then don't both do this AND eat extra for that day before/afterwards, try to eat no more than what you would have had you not gone on the ride at all, the extra is just what you ate while riding.

Are you trying the MFP "eat back your exercise calories" approach, of establishing a calorie baseline for loss with zero exercise, then eating extra food to balance the exercise? I don't like this approach because of the gross inaccuracy in ability to measure exercise calories, in the absence of expensive power meter. I prefer the "TDEE" approach, where you estimate daily expenditure based on average activity level over a week, and then base your weekly target based on that. If you aren't losing, then keep ratcheting down your target by 10% or so until you are losing at a reasonable rate, say 1-2 pounds per week.

Last edited by stephtu; 05-23-14 at 01:46 PM.