Old 05-24-14, 05:29 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Since my comments were about recreational paths only, maybe you need to speak to the decision makers involved and ask what they're thinking.

For my part, I shun bike paths (unless they're unusually scenic or interesting), and would probably opt for a parallel route entirely. I find the mix of speeds on many paths to be far more of a problem than the mix of speeds on roads.
Nobody has been discussing the problems that the path designers face, although there is a .pdf file on it. Westlake Ave runs along the east side of Lake Union, apparently with many businesses between it and the water. It has four lanes for motor traffic, with much parking to its east, that serves the businesses adjacent to the water. The .pdf file shows two options. On has the protected bike lane running just east of the motor traffic, so that all the parking traffic has to cross it. The other has the protected bike lane running adjacent to the businesses, so that all the pedestrian traffic from the parking lot has to cross it. Which do you want, crossing motor traffic at frequent intervals, or crossing pedestrian traffic all along the way?