mauritso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice for a new road bike

Hi,

I am looking to buy a road bike.
At the very least I want something lighter, better wheels and normal shifters (shifter/brake combo).

The bike will mainly be used to ride to school with (~45 miles a day) on a pretty good road, I like to think I ride pretty fast (19-21 Mph).
In the weekends/holidays I ride with it for fun, a great part of that fun comes from competing (strava)/riding with others.

At first I had the idea to build my own bike, because the maintenance would be easier and it would be a cool experience, but then I ran into this: Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800 Road Bike | Planet X
and changed my mind. It looks like incredible value for the money, even if it turns out that I don't have a good fit on that frame it is still full Ultegra 6800 + a nice wheel set (on first sight)/drop bar/saddle/various bits and pieces. 1300 euros/1750 usd/1060 gbp is about the highest I am willing to go.

I don't really have a LBS which can do road bikes in my area and because I use my bike so much I will do the maintenance myself.

For my current road bike (30 years old) I made a thread earlier where I got lots of helpful advice from you guys:
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...e-special.html

current road bike (steel, weighs 29 pounds, 6 speed cassette and 45/52 chainrings, down-tube shifters).
Still needs a new fork and recently new brakes. I will probably be keeping this one to learn some more maintenance, have a backup road bike and have another type of road bike/a stronger one.

Budget: 1750 USD (doesn't have to be spend)
Length: 178 cm
Inseam: 80 cm
Weight: 140 lbs
Used for: Commuting (not much load)/competing (strava, maybe local race events)

What would you advice me to spend and what is the best I can get for:
750 USD
1250 USD
1750 USD (Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800 Road Bike | Planet X Medium ?)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mauritso; 05-26-14 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Title change