daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
................If the first part^^ is true....................then the second part^^ is untrue.
Not necessarily. The proposed cycle track would still leave space for the parking lot. If the commuters feel that the parking lot would let them ride faster than the cycle track, they may actually go there even if it means a little more risk.

Commuters, with few exceptions, will take the safest route if one exists. Unless Seattle cyclists are incredibly snobby compared to the rest of the world you are worrying for nothing. Although years ago I tried to ride around Greenlake fitness path at 10 mph on a weekend and it was impossible due to no one obeying the directional arrows printed on the tarmac. It was mayhem and I gave up and just rode on the streets.
My point is that with the current design proposal, the cycle track, which is being built to address an issue, may very well not work as intended. That's why some of us locals try to talk to the SDOT to let them know our concerns. If they do take our feedback and decide to raise the reference speed limit to, say, 15 MPH, that will be a win-win for everyone IMO.

As for the Green Lake, I agree with you. Hardly anyone on foot observes the lane discipline on the trail there. I once took my wife there as she wanted to ride slowly and comfortably for relaxation. She ended up going home more frustrated due to all the people she had to avoid.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)