Old 05-29-14, 02:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampDude
We are not 'guests' according to the law, but the motoring public knows little about our rights as cyclists. I'm guessing that 95%+ don't have a clue.

So, why not do whatever we can to build our image over time. (Sounds to me like you're doing it right.) If and when cycling initiatives like special lanes and trails emerge in the public forum, a positive image can only help gain support.

A little effort can go a long way.
I'm split between Spare Wheel and Swamp Dude here.

I'm not worried about what motorists think about cyclists as a class, or about my rights to the road. I just want to ride in peace and get to my destination safely.

The balance between being courteous and being safe is for everybody to sort out for themselves. I find that leaning toward courtesy works for me, and don't feel that I'm giving up much safety, if any, when I create passing opportunities for cars that have already slowed behind me. In fact, I find the opposite to be true, and the sooner they go the better, while if held up too long (I'm in New York, where time is faster) the more likely they are to be impatient and aggressive.

I don't think a car need move halfway across the road to ass safely, and am comfortable in close quarters, but everyone has their own comfort level and needs to ride accordingly.

But I will leave folks with this thought. here, just outside of NYC I have very few negative interactions, and others report similar experienc in other parts of the country. So if you're routinely having negative motorist interactions, either, drivers in your area and nastier or more impatient than New Yorkers (hard to believe, but possible), or it's something about how you ride.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.