View Single Post
Old 05-31-14, 10:10 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why do some cyclists believe that every pedestrian (on a recreational path/trail where walking is permitted) is required to "react" in some way to obnoxious or loudmouth cyclists? What reaction do these bell ringing shouting cyclists expect? A bow or curtsey, perhaps? Why shouldn't pedestrians on a recreational path talk to each other or on a cell phone, or listen to their music?

Maybe speed happy cyclists should find another route, or perish the thought, slow down to a pace consistent with cycling amongst the many legitimate users of a MUP.
Sometimes it doesn't matter how slow you go.

One time on a MUT I slowed for, and didn't pass a jogger because we were approaching an intersection, just as I stopped and put my foot down, she flipped a U-turn around a bollard while looking at some sort of device and ran head on into me. Joggers with ear buds are a real hazard, they're oblivious to the world around them, and do U-turns without warning.
From that and other experiences I've learned its best to alert folks I'm going to pass regardless of speed. Bicycles are silent and they may step into your path even if you have slowed all the way down.

Lots of people say thank you or show appreciation for the warning, and it is a rule here in Washington, so its not simply self serving, its part of being a responsible, courteous trail user...........even for slowpokes like me.