Old 06-01-14, 03:42 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
This is the reason why I believe cell phones should shut down if moving faster than 10 mph. Is a phone call or a text message worth a persons life?
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I have a sympathy with that idea, but here's an even better one I think. Up there beside the red light cameras, place a device that detects cell phone transmissions, direction and distance. Then turn the light red for that direction, and leave it red until the offender is off the phone. If nothing else, peer pressure and road rage would put a damper on cell phone abuse.
Not really workable unless there's a way to determine whether the person using the phone is the driver or the passenger. Leaving a light red until the driver hangs up their phone is one thing but expecting everybody to wait because the passenger is on the phone is another thing entirely.

When I'm driving I quite frequently ask my wife (in the passenger seat) to call ahead to let our guests know where we are. At the time my own phone is typically downloading data from the internet - I use it in a hands-free mount to provide navigation and it's downloading map details, traffic conditions etc. Should the lights stay red until my phone (that I'm not touching in any way) has finished downloading the traffic information?