Old 06-01-14, 01:51 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
my personal experience tells me that cycling down hills is more risky than cycling in traffic.
i think there is a tendency to look at "outgroup" behaviors (e.g. taking the lane) as risky more due to social (and evolutionary) programming than due to objective risk calculation.
I agree. I believe that taking the lane and riding hard and fast is the safest best way to handle traffic. I only limit my exposure because I am a fat old man... and best compete with traffic ... in short amounts. Admittedly... when cycling is it's most exciting are times when my wife wouldn't be happy with my behavior.

Many of the cyclist I know are fearless in regards to downhill thrills. But I hear many stories about guys that: "use to ride with the group... then one day when barreling down this hill...... ". Then the injury report starts. Hills require technical skills... as I guess many things do. I try to not out-ride my skill levels. The problem is... I am not sure how honest I am with myself about how skillful my cycling abilities are. And with progressing age... my strength doesn't seem to be a predictably solid as it once was ether.