Old 06-02-14, 01:12 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Well, there are two types of cyclocross bikes: race only bikes, and bikes that are more all around sporty race like bikes. One thing that stands out on the sporty bikes is rack mounts – a real race design will never have these.
I'm specifically disputing this part. Kona's Jake the Snake is a real race design by any reasonable measure. It has rack mounts. Cannondale's CAADX Disc Ultegra is a very nice race bike. It has rack mounts. To be sure, both companies have more expensive carbon-framed CX race bikes that don't have rack mounts, but I don't think it's in any way reasonable to claim that these aluminum models are not real race bikes.

Cannondale's web site says "CAADX IS: Race on Sunday, commute on Monday. Race performance meets functional versatility." Kona makes similar claims about the JtS. I don't think this means they are "all around sporty race like bikes."

With Specialized Tri-Cross is clearly not a race bike while the Crux is. With Trek the Crossrip is clearly not a race bike while the Crockett and Boone are. Not all companies have such clear distinctions.