Old 06-03-14, 07:47 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You can do a 200k (or longer) on the bike you have (a fair number of people use that bike for Brevets). But a lighter bike would be a bit faster.

Keep in mind that the time limit is total time. If 10 mph is your moving average speed, you need to be faster or never stop.

One common strategy for doing Brevets is to minimize time spent at stops.

You don't need to be much faster. A moving average speed of 12 mph might be enough (that would give you 3 h to spend stopped).
A 10.1mph moving average gives me a hair over 12 hours to complete the 200K by never stopping, but I see your point. There's no way an hour and a half for stops will be enough for me this year.

Originally Posted by bikemig
I've have two bikes I mainly ride: a salsa casseroll and a soma double cross. The salsa is set up as a road bike for fast riding with an easton wheelset; the soma is set up as do everything bike with stout wheels (mavic A719 rims and 700 x 32c tires).

The difference I mainly notice between the two bikes is the wheels. So you may want to think about a set of "event" wheels for your disc trucker which can then be used on whichever bike becomes your N plus 1. I picked up a set of velocity a23 rims with shimano 105 hubs recently and that would be a pretty sweet wheelset: Quality Wheels 700c Front Wheel - 105 Hub Laced to Black Velocity A23 - 36H in Tree Fort Bikes Wheels (cat113)
Don't forget I've got the disc version. Really screws up alternate wheel options, especially if you want them lighter. However, no complaints from me. It is what it is. I went out for a second ride today right at the end of a thunderstorm. I was really glad to have those discs going down those hills in the wet and slop. Rim brakes are find and good and my next bike will have them. But when it's like today's condition, I don't have to wonder or worry at all. That's just me.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Forgetting for a moment the issue of "would a new bike be faster," which has consumed way too much of this thread, I would offer some advice:

Been there, done that, though when I was only 50. I got it into my head that I would do the one-day STP, so I bought a $100 used 10-speed 27" Nishiki that probably weighed 30 lbs. and went at it. I was an avid hiker, so this isn't quite as crazy as it sounds. However, total failure. I started riding in early spring. The first time I tried a solo century, I wound up sitting in a ditch at 75 miles, bonked and crying. So I gave it up for that year. Good idea.

That winter, I traded up to a $250 used 12 speed 27" bike that weighed 27 lbs. I bought a set of rollers. I already had a heart rate monitor from the Summer of Failure. I put SPD pedals on the bike and bought a cheap pair of MTB shoes. I already had the clothes, etc. I bought Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible, read it cover to cover, and built year-long training plan. I trained all winter on the bike on the rollers, lifted weights at the gym, and rode outside whenever the weather was decent. By early spring, I was averaging 15 mph on easy 60 mile rides. In June, I did a hilly 200k group ride and met 2 women on it who taught me to ride in groups, pace myself, pull, draft, signal, and all that. We teamed up and I rode the STP double in July, no problem other than I had to pull them for the last 120 miles to Portland. Took me frigging forever out in the wind on that tank.

So that was my program and I recommend it to the OP. Forget it this year. Learn to train. Learn to ride. There's a lot more to it than pedaling. Put 5 mph on your average. It is the motor. You'll have a lot more fun and less failure if you train to ride strong. Just put in the miles.
Good advice. I really appreciate it.

Back in '96 I did the most biking. I lived in West Salem. I also started in early spring. I joined a gym. In July of that summer I woke up on a day off, started off just after dawn and biked to Lincoln City. I ate lunch there at a sub joint and came back. There were sufficient power bars in my saddle bag and I stopped about 10 miles from home for a gator aid. I also had learned about bonking earlier on. When I got home my bike computer said 113 miles. I felt great. I want to feel like that again and do something even bigger. But maybe not this year. I'll ride lots and see what I can do about training. There is no gym within any practical distance to me.

But a funny thing happened today. I live at the top of one of the highest, steepest hills around. My first run this morning consisted of an 8 mile loop I do when I only have time for a short blast. Down one side of the hill, around the bottom valley and up the other side of the hill. Both sides are wicked steep and there's a long, long hill in between. It's pretty intense and I was surprised to see I averaged 10.5mph. I got home for some water, checked my air in my tires, pump fixture got stuck on the presta valve and I split the inner tube at the base of the valve. Uh oh. Forgot to stock up on inner tubes. Down to the LBS and back and then thunderstorm. 1.5 hours later I go out again and decide to do a 22 mile loop I have. It was crappy, sloppy and windy. I averaged 10.8mph. I wasn't even trying to do anything differently. Just riding. So there's some hope.

Maybe I won't do a 200K this year. That's OK. I'm riding a lot and feeling good and I'll get there when I can. Yeah, I've got to get a training plan together and make sure I train this coming winter. I guess I'm going to need some kind of roller for my bike.

Originally Posted by hamster
I think we need to go into details to understand _why_ you're only seeing 10 mph average.
Uh, cuz I'm weak? Uh, I haven't done any kind of serious physical training in over 15 years? Seriously, I thought I made this clear. Maybe not.

Originally Posted by hamster
Can you answer these questions:

* On a typical long hill (say, above 5% grade), what is your typical _vertical_ speed (feet per minute)?

* What is your typical speed on a flat road with no wind?

* How is the stem set up on your bike (angle, spacer thickness), and can you estimate the angle between the ground and your torso?

* What kind of clothes do you wear on these rides?
Not to give you a hard time, but I really can't answer the first two questions, and I don't think any cyclist around here could. I don't think you understand the terrain in this area. It's nothing but up and down except for the main state highways and I avoid them like the plague. Much more difficult biking, but much more enjoyable to me.

I don't know the angle of the stem that comes stock on surly truckers. I had the bars about even with the seat like most touring setups, but finally moved it down. I think there's 2cm of spacers before the stem. I don't know my torso angle in the drops or on the hoods. All I know is that it's as low as I can go right now.

Clothes? The worst imaginable and soon to change. The only real bike stuff I'm actually wearing is the spd shimano shoes on my feet. I forgot how much regular shorts and underwear hurts after just 15 or 20 miles.