PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redrawlly
I can look through loads of reviews of tents, though most of them talk from a backpacking point of view.
What do you peoples have to say about the touring tents you have used in your long treks?
Camping is camping - whether it's part of a bicycle tour or climbing a mountain. It all comes down to your shelter preferences. So, for shelter you can choose a simple tarp or a bivy sack or a tent or a hammock or nothing at all and sleep (at your own risk) under the stars (or rain clouds as it happens from time to time).

Like others here, my perspective is derived from decades of backpacking. As andrewclaus said, I use (strictly for summer use) a Henry Shires "Tarptent". My preferred model is his (now discontinued model) "Cloudburst 2". From his current selections (for a 2-person size), I'd choose the Henry Shires Tarptent "Double Rainbow" without hesitation.

My Cloudburst 2 tent has seen several mountain "camping" uses and is custom-made quality for a *very* reasonable price. Over the years I've had other custom-made camping/climbing gear and can attest to Shires manufacturing quality as absolute top notch. It's a very lightweight shelter and great for late spring/summer/early fall use.

Here is a pic of mine on a spring hike in the mountains:

For camping/climbing gear you can choose 2 from the 3 main qualities of 1) strong/durable or 2)lightweight or 3)inexpensive but you can't get all 3!!! I suspect the same holds true in bicycling gear as well.