View Single Post
Old 06-04-14, 11:07 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
I think I figured out one of my "problems" I can't just go for a ride. I get on that bike and as soon as my cheeks hit the saddle I'm off. Now, if I were 18 and weighed 150 pounds that would be amazing, but neither of those things are true. Instead I wind up burning myself out after a few miles and just plodding along as best as I can for the rest of the ride. PArt of this is because I am always cramming my ride between other obligations.

Today I crammed myself onto the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail right after work. I started at the old Wang building and went out to Baptist (Hart) Pond. There were many suicidal squirrels out and about today and one lonely doe grazing in a meadow.

I spent some time talking to an older gentleman about growing up in town and about the shenanigans that they got into with the train cars that used to rumble through town. He walked and I rode next to him and we talked. It felt like being a kid when you came upon another kid and just started hanging out.

I rode on up to the pond and took a little break.

I knew that the grade was downhill heading back into town so I wanted to swing throughout the village where my wife grew up and take a few pictures before i headed home. This is the Parsonage where she grew up.

And the Church across the street where her father used to minister, First Baptist.

Right next door to that is Kate"s Corner general store and post office. It's really owned and operated by Kate. They have their own brand of Root Beer! Well worth stopping in if you are in the area!

This place is now called Red Wing Farm conservation area. It used to be a mess. It's really turned into a beautiful park recently.

So, there it was. A 10 miler crammed in between work and kids and a nice morning out. My bike was filthy by the time I rolled back into Lowell. Here is a video (unedited, sorry) of animals running in front of the bike and people saying "hi".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
doe.jpg (104.6 KB, 58 views)
Bike and pond.jpg (96.5 KB, 60 views)
PArsonage.jpg (102.6 KB, 57 views)
First Baptist.jpg (95.4 KB, 57 views)
Kate's.jpg (99.5 KB, 59 views)
Barn and pond.jpg (99.5 KB, 58 views)

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix