Old 06-04-14, 11:32 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I am 6' and 340-350# and have a bit over 300 miles on a 2011 Trek 7.3 FX that I bought used. Because I am extremely large, I beefed it up with better wheels, but if I was at your weight, I would be comfortable with the stock wheels.

Most of my riding is on crushed stone rail trails, or paved Multi-Use trails on the levees around here. I think the 32 mm on the FX line is wide enough for you, again, I went beefier due to my weight, and ride 35 mm tires.

The other bikes I don't know, but looking quickly, I have a bias against wheels with paired spokes, so I would avoid that particular Cannondale... I have ridden for miles with a broken spoke on standard wheels, I don't think that would have been possible on a paired spoke wheel.... but someone else may know otherwise.

FYI - My bias is toward bomb-proof because on my favorite rail trails I am sometimes 7+ miles from the nearest trail head, so I want to do whatever I can to make sure I have no mechanical issues. Otherwise, I would have probably stuck with the stock wheels on my FX.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson