View Single Post
Old 06-04-14, 12:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
Any thoughts on using 6 all the way versus creating a similar but lower traffic (and possibly narrower) route?
It's Route Y, not Route V, that uses U.S. 6.

I have driven a part of U.S. 6 (west from Ansonia), but not recently. Rode it for a while east of Erie, but that was 15 years ago. I believe the shoulder is really wide. From what I understand, truck traffic from fracking is heavy along some parts. I am sure traffic is also pretty heavy around Wellsboro. You might look to take parallel roads where available.

If you do head across the northern tier of the state, a really nice way to get to L'Ville is make your way to near the end of Route Y at Milford, PA cross over into NJ via the U.S. 206 bridge and ride south through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area and Worthington State Forest via Old Mine Rd., N.P.S. 615 and Old Min Rd. again. Fabulous ride, at least in the fall and spring. Summer might be a bir more crowded. There is a nice campground along the rover in Worthington State Forest. They have several group sites. One has a bear locker because are a decent number of such critters in the area.

From there, you cross back the pedestrian walkway along I-80 into Delaware Water Gap, PA and continue down the river then cross back over into NJ at Belvedere. Belvedere to Philipsburg is splendid. Quiet, isolated river communites. I will actually be riding that stretch on Saturday as part of a day ride out of Frenchtown. If I encounter five cars in that 13 miles stretch I will be surprised. There are several railroad bridges/overpasses that have low and narrow clearances, so there are no trucks. Phillipsburg itself sort of sucks, but it's a short distance and then the riding gets great again all the way to Milford, NJ. Across the river from Milford, in Upper Black Eddy, PA, there is a private campground off the trail on the PA side. It's a bit dated, but the owner is nice and only charges cylists $15, which is cheap for those parts. You cross into PA and make a left on PA 32. In about .3 miles, you make a left on Canal Lane. Walk you bike down the foot path before crossing the canal and keep heading south. At the first road crossing make a right and you will see the gravel raod leading up to the campground. There is a grocery store in Milford along with several restaurants, including a pretty decent seafood/oyster house.

Milford to Frenchtown (about 3 miles) is so-so depending on the time of day, but you can get off the somewhat busy road (it has a smallish but useable shoulder) by cutting down a dirt access road to the D&R Trail. That trail will take you through Frenchtown, Stockton and right into the center of Lambertville right near the bridge to PA. If you stay in Uppr Black Eddy, you can also ride down PA 32 and cross the bridge into Frenchtown to pick up the trail. I would only do that early in the morning and probably only on a weekend day. PA 32 has no shoulder and too many people drive like a-holes, including contractors in vans and pickups.

Here is a map from Port Jervis, NY to Upped Black Eddy:

PORT JERVIS-UBE at Bikely.com

I have done Port Jervis to Philly twice as a three day tour. You can see where U.S. 206 crosses CR 521 and where Old Mine Rd. starts.

Ignore the profile, The data is bad. The two "big" climbs are not even a mile. Except for one restaurant on NPS 615, there are no services in the National Rerceation Area or at Worthington State Forest other that water and bathrooms at Millbrook Village so you have to pick up food in Milford or Matamoras if you plan to stay at Worthington and cook. Another option is to drop your gear at Worthington and ride into Delaware Water Gap, PA and back. In town there is a pizza place, a diner and a couple of more expensive places. No grocery store though. Just a small c-store at a gas station. Round trip from the campground to town and back is about 7-8 miles.