Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by loken
Using ultegra 6800 with shimano BB.
The problem is the carbon has worn, brand new BBBhad the same crap fit.
2 shops have said its a warrenty issue and we are waiting for scotts reply on the matter.
Personally I dont think I should be having to use epoxy to fix this issue, I have no doubt it would work but I have doubt of how long it would last before working a bit free.
Hopefully I will hear something in the next week and will figure out which way I go from here. Just sucks not being able to ride as I only have the 1 bike.
Depends on how Scott spec's the BB installation. For example, Specialized spec's low shear strength epoxy for the their carbon OSBB aka narrow version of PF30. There is NO difference in interface between a Specialized S-works BB and your Foil...same carbon to delrin bushing connection.

If Scott spec's Epoxy...they should btw but may not know any better...and your BB was installed without it it, it is NOT a warranty claim because it was installed incorrected and why it wore.

If Scott spec's dry install, and grease was used to press in the BB, it is NOT a warranty issue.

A vigilant bike owner or mechanic would have caught this before critical mass.

If Scott does not warranty your frameset, your ONLY recourse is to use Epoxy.

There is NOTHING wrong with using Epoxy to secure your now slip fit BB to your Foil frame. Nothing. It is in fact 'preferred' as Specialized the top R&D bike company in the world discovered due to Delrin bushing squirm which WILL induce wear.

There 'was' nothing wrong with your frame. Wear occurred because there was no adhesive or you may have promoted wear by physically greasing the cups during installation which is a huge mistake and will promote bushing slippage and abrasive carbon wear.
Attached Images

Last edited by Campag4life; 06-06-14 at 06:17 AM.