Old 06-08-14, 07:02 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Like anything else, it takes a little practice. Hat/eye-glass mounted mirrors shake less and can survey the entire scene behind you without turning the handlebars. These small mirrors are FLAT so reflection is actual size as opposed to those convex mirrors made for handlebars which make things look tiny AND are not positioned at eye level.

Mirrors are light, waterproof, cheap, have no moving parts, do not require batteries, and never need winding. Most motor vehicles have at least 3 mirrors with most large trucks needing at least 4. You just need one itty-bitty one.

Sorry, I know this was not the answer you were looking for. But a mirror is THE answer for most cyclists with your concerns.
+1 for cyclist worn mirrors

The company I drive for has VORAD or one of the equivalent on all the new tractors and I find it to be fairly useless. Mirrors are the way to go, warning devices are still too random and redundant for all but the very worst drivers who probably won't react correctly anyway.