View Single Post
Old 06-09-14, 05:34 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Road
If your bike has the setback seat post as shown at Amazon, you could try turning it around and adjusting the seat rearward to see how that feels. When I see a setback seat post coming standard, I wonder if the manufacturer included it because it was hard for testers to get behind the bottom bracket.

Hehe - it's hard for me to reach down in the drops, too, but I've been doing something about that, slowly but surely.
But be aware that bikes sold from the mid-60s (when I started) all the way up to at least the 90s were commonly equipped with setback seat posts. One reason was to get adequate setback with Brooks and similar leather saddles, even though they were rarely on new bikes after the '80s if not earlier.

And with the advent of zero-setback seat posts I have not seen seat tube angles become more laid-back, if anything it's the opposite to create tighter rear geometries.

In any case the OP should first do a conventional initial saddle height adjustment with a level saddle that is centered on the seat tube axis, and take it from there. There is some method to this. If he's tilting it downward, the saddle is probably not right, and he shouldn't be adjusting handlebar position without improving it (at least checking it) first.