View Single Post
Old 06-12-14, 12:44 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think what's emerging in the poll results is two distinct groupings: (1) race bikes weighing 18-19 pounds, (2) all-arounders weighing over 20 pounds. I'd guess most of the latter are over 23 pounds.

Your bike isn't a race bike, so I'd say 24.4 pounds is pretty squarely in the middle of its class -- before you start adding accessories.

I weighed my commuter this morning. With rack and fenders, but before I put on the trunk bag, it weighs 26.5 pounds:

I've already replaced the stock alloy fork with a lighter aluminum fork. It's got a Tiagra drivetrain with a triple crank, TRP HY/RD brakes, SRAM X.9 hubs with Salsa Delgado Cross rims and 700x35 Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires.

If I wanted to make it light, I'd obviously start by removing the rack, fenders and bottle cages. Then I'd replace the wheels with something like a Stan's Iron Cross wheelset. Then I'd get lighter tires, maybe 700x28 Conti GP 4 Seasons. Then I'd replace the shifters with a set of Gevenalle (and probably get full hydraulic brakes in the process). Then I'd get a carbon compact double crankset and new front derailleur. After all this, it would probably be well under 20 pounds. It also wouldn't be particularly well suited to the purpose for which I use this bike. My wallet would also be around $1500 lighter.