View Single Post
Old 06-12-14, 02:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120

Is that what you mean by a European pass? Because I'd never read that term before.
Yes, that's what I mean. You haven't heard it before because I made it up. People do the same thing here, but it seems to be SOP in Europe where they've been driving under powered cars on roads that seem to follow ancient goat tracks for decades. So they understand the need for cooperation when miscalculated passes happen. Without that kind of cooperation a Fiat could never get around a truck in the mountains.

Here in the USA we tend to be more focused on rights and get angered at those we think are stepping on our toes. I passed (when driving) cars on two lane roads, only to have them speed up to keep form being in front of them.

When riding I set my lane position according to conditions. If riding where passing is risky, I'll move left enough that a driver knows he has to overlap the centerline to pass, but I don't force him all the way across. If/when he starts passing, I'll move right and (if necessary) slow down so he can move back into the lane as soon as possible.

IME, I've had less problem passes when climbing because my speed is low, and the driver can get around me quickly. Tho opposite is true on descents or any time I'm riding faster, because he's much more likely to misjudge my speed and the distance he'll need to pass.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-12-14 at 02:57 PM.