View Single Post
Old 06-13-14, 01:42 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
First off it's quite evident your country does not have the roads to handle high volume of cars like America which is why it takes twice as long for your commuters to go half the distance which is why I called your roads crappy not meaning potholed, just not enough to handle the traffic.
Judging from the other "information" you got about the Netherlands, your figures on Dutch commutes might not be the most reliable in the world. I'm sure commutes take longer, but that's not a surprise since population density here is 12 times higher than in the US of A . The fact that NL isn't in perpetual gridlock is because Dutch Road design is rather good. As you said, OTOH, America can't even do basic road maintenance, so that probably doesn't bode well for road design.

The USA doesn't just throw an American drivers license at you just because you puff out your chest and proclaim you're from the Netherlands!!! LOL!!!!!
True, from what I know of it, the USA basically just throws American drivers licences at anyone over 16. Dutch driver education typically features a theoretical exam, 40 hours of driving lessons by a licensed instructor after which you have to demonstrate your ability to ride flawlessly in traffic for about an hour. It's fakking hard to get your licence here, as it should be, since cars are dangerous in incompetent hands.

A Pro Tip person would back up the remark with a...well a pro tip!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands

the US can do better but it will never do as well as the EU can due to logistic issues.
With an average of 0,6% share of cycling trips, it would be hard for America to do worse. The rest of that paragraph is just you regurgitating arguments from a couple of pages ago. But outside your imagination, reasonably well-developed cycling cultures exist in a whole range of climates, including cold ones. The best example of the latter is pretty much all of Scandinavia. I looked for an American example, and both the state Minnesota and its capital Minneapolis seems to pop up high in the list of best places to cycle in the US. Despite the harsh local winters.

Last edited by CarinusMalmari; 06-13-14 at 01:45 AM.