Old 06-13-14, 04:47 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John Redcorn
Was he BSing me because they were real busy that day (said they were)
Prolly,or he didn't know what he was talking about. I am actually amazed at how many shop folks don't understand disc brakes. I've bought over a half dozen disc bikes that had to be tweaked when I got home.

Your disc caliper is mounted down near the axle. Changing the tension on the QR will move the fork leg,and the caliper,in or out a tiny bit. This can cause rub. Because of this,you need to make sure you don't change the tension when removing/installing the wheel. Clix skewers were designed to prevent this.

If you didn't have rub when you first picked up the bike,and the brakes felt good,then try loosening or tightening the QR a little until you don't hear the rub. Make sure you don't loosen it too much,it still needs to be properly tight. In the future,when removing the wheel,count how many turns you spin the QR,and in what position you had the lever. When you reinstall the wheel,put the lever in the same position and spin it closed the same number of times. This should give you the same amount of tension and prevent rub.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X