Old 06-14-14, 01:17 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The frame damage that people talk about is only relevant for kickstands which mount just behind the bottom bracket. The issue is that the chainstays are often quite thin walled there, and so the clamping that is required to mount the kickstand can easily dent the chainstay. This is a non-issue if you're mounting the kickstand on the rear triangle (by the hub), because the chainstay and seatstay are much stronger (they are smaller in diameter and you don't use the same kind of clamping force). The Greenfield rear kickstand is my favorite, it works wonderfully... if you can get it to fit. The three possible obstacles are generally disk brakes, or the rearward spoke holder on the chainstay, or some frames have a small diagonal strut located right where the Greenfield clamp wants to go. I had the spoke holder on my Rocky Mountain Sherpa. It's located in pretty much the same position as the LHT. I used a dremel to remove the spoke holder. This worked, but you do need to be very careful with the dremel, because it's spinning fast and very easy to let it slip and gauge the paintwork around where you are working. As long as you're careful, there's no reason not to take the spoke holder off, in my opinion. It doesn't weaken the frame at all, because the spoke holder is just brazed on. You don't need to remove the whole base of the holder, just the bit that sticks up. I guess you could probably use a metal saw too, though I didn't try that. Afterward you will probably want to prime and touch up the bare metal with some sort of enamel paint in order to prevent rust. I then also wrapped it with electrical tape for extra protection. I was able to fit the Greenfield after that. Here's a pic below showing the bike. Unfortunately I sold the Sherpa after I got my custom Co-Motion Americano, so I can't show you anything more close-up, sorry - but this is just to let you know that it is certainly doable, if you're willing to hack the bike a bit.

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img_5552.jpg (102.7 KB, 111 views)