View Single Post
Old 06-14-14, 01:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo1889
I would a agree that while there is not always a legal obligation for a cyclist taking the lane on a narrow two lane road to pull off the road at a safe spot and allow a long line of cars backed up behind him to proceed because they have been unable to pass (the slow moving vehicle laws that require this do apply to bicycles in some states and do not apply to bicycles in other states) there is a moral obligation if one actually has any level of respect for other people and isn't a total jerk. If this happens to me I do pull off the road for a few seconds to let them by when a safe spot to do so comes up.

BUT, it is incredibly how little this situation actually does develop. .....
Like you, I'm less concerned with the legal obligation, and more concerned with the requirements of common courtesy. I rarely (just about never) have to pull off the road, and can almost always find a section of road where I can "gutter hug", or ride the door lane for a stretch, if necessary and allow passing with low speed differences. (they've already matched my speed, so it's not like they're going to fly by at 60). I find allowing cars to pass at the earliest opportunity preferable to having them lose impatience and pass dangerously.

As to how often it happens, I suspect that will vary by area. Our eastern roads tend to be narrower and busier than many other places, and it's easy to back up traffic on climbs, or on busy roads in urban and suburban areas.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-14-14 at 01:27 PM.