Old 06-14-14, 05:27 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
I take all the info here as constructive critism . Im here for the info and suggestions that all of you experienced riders ave. Im a newbie and I appreciate all of the input from everyone.

I dont plan to put standard bar end AND drop bar bar ends on my 7.4 because I dont think they will fit (due to the isofit) like they did on the 7.2 in the pic above. so I figure the drop bar ends would be more useful than the regular bar ends since I could get lower. I would like to add aero bars because when Ive taken the 7.2 on 10 mile rides I sometimes lay my arms across the handlebars and find that I can peddle easier against the wind and its almost like resting. but I dont know if the aero bars will fit on the 7.4 looking at the pic above. keep in mind I will need to slide the grips in just a bit for the drop bar ends Id like to add.

the FX 7.2 is the wifes bike, sometimes we ride together. I bought the 7.4 instead of the road bike because I like the choice of riding upright or down low. my budget was $800.

when I say I want to go fast I mean Id like cruise at 18-20mph average over 10-20-30 miles. by distance I mean that I would like to take my FX on rides of 50-100 miles some day. your speed and distance is inspiring!
Again, confused. That is what a drop bar road bike or in the alternative, one of the cross bikes I listed offers, with multiple hand positions on tops, ramps, hoods and drops as opposed to a flat bar. In other words, you can sit up high in the tops, or down low in the drops, or in between on the ramps or the hoods. And given that you are contemplating $200 for upgrades, sounds like your budget is actually closer to $1,000, which is within reach of some of the very fine do anything road bikes available these days.

No matter. you made your decision. Just ride your 7.4 as is. Where you are now isn't where you will be in 6 months or a year if you ride regularly. If you want to ride 18 to 20 mph, for 50 to 100 ride, just ride. You will get there.

Last edited by MRT2; 06-14-14 at 05:39 PM.