View Single Post
Old 06-15-14, 04:13 PM
ISPringle

Bikes: Trek MTB, Fit Bike Co. Mac 3, Shogun 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. My day before will be rideless, I have to drive 600 miles back home in order to be there the next day for the ride.

I just completed my first 60 mile ride, did a 50 on Friday, with nothing on Saturday. When I began today my intention was to do 50. I got on the bike and my intentions quickly became to just do 20 because I had no energy at all. Then I got past something a few miles down the road, I think a mix of mental power, protein bar kicking in, and body getting warmed up, and I was fine and decided the 50 miler was back on. Ended up doing 60 because I went further than I intended, there was a frozen yogurt place five miles beyond where I was going to turn back.

The 50 mile ride was on water alone. Mistake, for me! I was dead by mile 40. This time I ate a serving of fig newton (I know it's dry, but I need that because I forget to drink) around mile 10, another at mile 20, froyo at mile 30, and one more serving of fig newton on the back stretch somewhere around mile 40. Made a world of difference. I need to be taking on more fluid though, I have a camel back I've been using, partially because of habit from MTB and partially because my bike is old and doesn't have a place to attach bottles, and I only went through two of those today, need to fix that because I was and still am a bit dehydrated.

I'll get it all dialed in though, I'm a bit new at this (this is day 7 for me), but I've got another two or three weeks before the ride and I've come to terms with the fact that I want to finish and I don't care how long it takes me and if I miss the lunch they have at the end, and that was what was really holding me up.