View Single Post
Old 06-16-14, 03:03 AM
Machoman121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
This morning I attempted to connect the Garmin magnet less speed and cadence sensors with the Cyclo 505. No dice!

After about 10 minutes I gave up and put the old Garmin speed/cadence back on that I used yesterday.

I sent a message via Twitter before my ride explaining the issue and asked if the new Garmin magnet less sensors are compatible with the Cyclo.

Here is the response that was awaiting me when I returned: (and on a Sunday non the less)

Bummer that the new sensors won’t work for a few weeks until they release a software fix but massive props for the honest and fast response..

Hey Garmin, did you see how that worked? They admitted the problem, they responded quickly and they gave me a time frame on when the issue will be resolved..

The Edge 1000 has been out for over a month now and Garmin has said little to nothing! All we have are 2 sticky posts. One addresses the ‘locked screen’ issue and says a fix is a few weeks away. That post was a month ago. Maybe in Garmin’s world a few weeks is a month and counting but not in mine.. The other response from Garmin was in the other sticky which says they are aware of the BT issues that happen within the 1st few miles. Seriously? It’s not just within the 1st few miles and there is no time frame given for the fix.

Had Garmin been honest, upfront and if they actually appeared to care about the issues and their customers, I probably would have stuck the issues out and stayed with the Edge 1000..

I am not thrilled my magnet less sensors won’t work on the Cyclo for a few weeks but I am, for now at least, satisfied that I matter to them as a customer and that they are in fact aware of the issue and working to fix it..

So that’s my update for today.. Bravo Magellan and shame on you Garmin.

My ride today went well. No disconnects and no issues at all again today. I had 2 text messages and no phone calls.. The 2 text message popped up without issue, I read them while pedaling and since they were unimportant, i pedaled on..

I followed a track that went 46 miles and it worked great! The coolness factor is that when following a track it does indeed tell you the distance to the next climb, the elevation and the grade of the climb. Pure awesome! There is also a pretty little graphic above the stats thats shows where you are and the elevation behind and in front of you.. Awesomeness!

I did go off course to test the rerouting. It worked just fine and I threw a few curveballs at it.. After I went off course it nagged me to make a u-turn for about 500 feet or so. After that it recalculated again and told me to turn right. I went left instead to throw a monkey wrench at it. It recalculated and I followed it's suggestions for a few turns. At one of the turns it wanted me to go right so I went left, another curveball. No problem, it recalculated again. Following the directions I was back on course in no time.. Overall I was very impressed with this feature today…

The ride uploaded via WiFi without issue and it auto sync to Strava as well..

A few other observations.

If the Edge 1000 is turned off and you plug it in to charge the unit boots up. You then turn it off to let it charge. Once it’s charged and you unplug it, it boots back up and now you have to turn it off again. Seriously Garmin?

If the Cyclo is turned off and you plug it in to charge it stays turned off and simply charges. When you unplug it after it’s charged it stayes off.. This is what you expect to happen.

I have no idea why the Edge 1000 does what it does. I seriously hope they did not intend this and that’s it’s just another issue to add to the already rather long list of Edge 1000 bugs..

Super duper cool features discovered today!

If you are in the large chainring and you shift into the large cog (a big no-no) the Cyclo starts beeping at you! I did this 3 different times and each time I shifted out of the large rear cog the beeping stopped. I guess it a ‘hey boss you know you are in gears that you should not be right’ kinda thing. At any rate it’s a nice touch to the Di2 integration.

Also and this is HUGE… When I got home I looked at my K-Edge XL just sitting there looking all sad. For fun I plopped the Cyclo on it and guess what? It fits!

I then fastened the K-Edge XL to my bike, attached the Cyclo and tested it out. I was also to grab the Cyclo by it’s body and lift the front end of the bike off the ground so it’s a pretty good fit..

I don’t recommend anyone try this just yet on a ride however as I am more than happy to to test it out. I’d hate to see someones Cyclo go bouncing down the road because I said it fit.. For tomorrows ride I am going to test it..
Thanks again for the very detail review - u should consider writing reviews professionally?.......let us know of any further opinions. I like how u said the unit was able to warn of impending uphills....wow...exactly what a lot of us need!!!!