View Single Post
Old 10-14-05, 01:59 PM
problemrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=islenska]also, the volpe is set up as a triple (which can of course be changed), which makes absolutely no sense unless you plan on using it for loaded touring and/or steep off roading. you wont need it for commuting or road training (unless you live in a very hilly area, and even then its really not necessary), and if you ever plan to race cx, a triple is a BAD idea.
QUOTE]

While I agree with most of Islenska's comments, I disagree with his disdain for the triple. For a novice rider like yourself, or an experienced but slow rider like myself, it's the only way to maintain a healthy cadence on steep grades. I do a lot of riding in the San Bernardino mountains, and while I don't use the "granny" often, I sure am glad it's there. Why blow out your knees, stress your BB, grunt and heave out of the saddle if you don't have to? It's only, what, 200 grams for the chainring and five bolts? You can just take it off when riding with macho people. Plus, you have many *****in' fire roads near Silver Lake, and you'll be glad you have the low gear option for dirt adventures.

For what it's worth, I faced the same decision you are making and went with the 2006 Volpe. It is a gorgeous, well-made bike, with good components for the money. I've been riding aluminum frames for years and forgot how sweet and mellow steel can be. The only change I made was to ditch the plastic leopard-fur-spangled saddle (I'm not kidding) in favor of a Brooks Pro. The suspension seatpost has eased the break-in period considerably.

Enjoy whichever one you choose!