Old 06-16-14, 02:29 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Well, made it to Pittsburgh this morning. Parked at Millvale (I think) and rode up past PNC Park and Heinz Field. The trail ends just past the West Pen correctional institute. That was interesting, you can hear them yelling inside since there is no glass in the windows, just bars covering the window openings.

I was surprised that it was only 5 miles to the end. Someone directed me to cross over the Ft. Duquesne bridge to get to Point State Park and I rode around the point, then followed some loaded down tourers, whom I assumed was heading to the Great Allegheny Passage, up over the Ft. Pitt bridge across the Monongahela River. That took me down some road which I followed them out into the lane because the sidewalk was way overgrown. Turned down to the trail along the Mon River and rode that all past the other side of the city.

Finally came to a bridge where looked like the trail headed out into the streets for a bit so I figured it looked like a cool bridge to cross over and it ended up being the Hot Metal Bridge that I've read and saw video of. Back across the Mon. River, I headed back towards the city and Point State Park. The trail breaks up into the streets of Pittsburgh in several places, so I ended up losing the trail. I had no idea where I was going so I stuck on the sidewalk not walking, but just putting at a walking pace until I asked someone. He said he assumes I was still on the Heritage trail because he sees a lot of bikes coming through when he walks.

Found my way back to an actual trail and back to the point. I rode up to the fountain and circled it with the wind blowing the misting water and it felt fantastic as it was getting hot. Circled the fountain, went back down to the water edge and rode around the point back to along the Allegheny. By now it was close to noon and there were people everywhere. On that side of the Allegheny there wasn't much room with all the people walking so I turned around and went back over the Ft. Duquesne bridge back to just between Heinz Field and PNC Park. Headed back to the car from there.

I think saddle time was just over 2.5 hours which with the bike shorts I had no saddle soreness whatsoever. Shorts are fabulous! Ended up with a hair over 22 miles which breaks me of the 100 mile barrier for the month. 150 is the goal but would really like to hit 200 which might be doable since we are just about halfway done with the month.

Tomorrow will just be an early ride on my Allegheny River Trail, then perhaps Wednesday I hope to head up to complete opposite of the city of Pittsburgh and ride in the middle of the Allegheny National Forest.

6/3 - 11 miles
6/5 - 9 miles
6/6 - 10 miles
6/7 - 15 miles
6/10 - 18 miles
6/13 - 15 miles
6/15 - 18 miles
6/16 - 22 miles

MTD - 118 miles
YTD - 398 miles