Old 10-14-05, 02:32 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by yangmusa
I have a Moulton F-frame, which I think works quite well for light touring. I can get a very comfortable riding position on the bike, and the racks are good.

If you can get a comfortable riding position on one of these bikes, it might work for you. BUT I think the gearing range of all the bikes you mention is very limited! And you're going to the MOUNTAINS. So all in all, I think I would go with a 20" wheeled bike, because the gearing on these bikes will be more suitable. IMHO..

Magnus
I think the Moulton, Bike Friday and Dahon TR are the best touring bicycles. The Brompton 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear bicycle is too high for light touring. Even the 6 speed Brompton does not drop you low enough for hill climbing. A good touring setup should drop you close to 20 inches and the Dahon TR does just that.

I still think a folding bike is all about compromise especially when it comes to touring because of the small wheelbase makes going down those hills, a white knuckle ride! I put my Dahon Speed 8 next to my Jamis Aurora and it's no comparison. The Jamis is much longer and you can feel the difference when going downhill at 30 mph.

The 16' inch wheel in my opinion is too small for touring. It's probably the best size when multimode commuting with the bus and train but not for carrying loads. I happen to think the 20 'inch wheel is too small but this size makes it practical for travel.