Old 06-17-14, 01:59 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There is a lot of overlap between different bike styles. And you can push that envelope with thoughtful customization, tuning, and of course riding skill.

I ride off-pavement on 3 different bikes:
1) FS Cannondale MTB, for trail riding with obstacles, jumps, etc. This bike can handle gravel roads fine, but isn't fast or efficient, even with the head-shock locked out.
2) Rigid MTB (88 Schwinn KOM). This bike just floats over the gravel on 2.1" semi-slick tires. It rides a lot faster with drop bars. I can get low and put down plenty of power now, which was tough before (maybe due to the high BB).
3) Rivendell Road 650b conversion. This bike is fast over everything, and comfortable (on 38 mm tires). It floats well on gravel, but not as well as the KOM. But it's a lighter, faster bike, so it's kind of a wash between which is a better gravel bike.

A new "gravel" bike seems to be a fat tire road bike. This isn't new, but in the recent past we've had to buy touring or CX bikes (or Rivendells, $$$) to get a versatile any-road bike. The "gravel" bike seems to be a tourer (minus the heavy duty frame), or a CX bike (minus the high BB and other CX-specific traits). Or maybe a Riv-style "country" bike (minus the retro style).

You can ride gravel on lots of different bike types, not just "gravel" bikes.
And you can ride "gravel" bikes just fine as roadies.

I love that bike designers are considering versatility and practicality again! There were too many years with "skinny tire roadie" and "fat tire MTBs" and not much in between (besides hybrids. yuk, don't get me started!)