Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Here's a bit of discussion that might help:

Vehicular Cycling: If It Worked, It Wouldn't Work | streets.mn

There is also a difference between American Vehicular Cycling and that practiced elsewhere. American vehicular cycling is very type-A aggressive and self-centered—"I have a right to the road and I'm going to take it." However in Europe it is much more cooperative. Bicycle riders in Europe aren't in to 'taking the lane', they're more considerate of those driving cars and car drivers are likewise more considerate of bicycle riders.

That said, people driving cars in the U.S., and people in general, are much less considerate of others as Europeans are. This is part of the reason we are about three times as likely to be killed on the road (in a car, riding a bicycle, or walking) as someone in Europe. It is also why Dutch style segregated bicycle facilities are more important here than in Europe.
Interestingly I tried to make this same argument with John Forester some time back... it is well presented in your link and worth the read. Vehicular cycling only works well when we all (cars and bikes) move at human speeds... otherwise cyclists tend to be an impediment to smooth, high speed, motoring... sort of like rocks in a fast river.

Here is a key statement from that link:

What will happen when cycling in the U.S. increases from its current 1% of trips to 5% or 10%? Or 25%? When many more people begin bicycling to local stores, restaurants, and schools? Imagine all of these cyclists, three to ten times as many as today, most traveling about 12 mph, on the roads mixed with and sometimes blocking motor traffic
Everyone should take a look at that link:

Vehicular Cycling: If It Worked, It Wouldn?t Work | streets.mn