Old 06-18-14, 10:14 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
I generally wear wear knee length stuff. And it appears all bikes with skirt guards are $1500+. And pretty heavy. I've got stairs to navigate. But I wouldn't mind an after market one if I could find one.
Dutch Bike Bits! It'll be about 60USD with shipping, though. Possibly more if you're farther from the east coast (where I'm at).

I like those bikes too! I think all of the Linus/Public/PApillionaire new school dutch bikes are my scene.
Check out my "Roadsters for Shorties" thread, as similar to you and kat, I'm rather short - 5'4"*

*Including the defect where I'm always on the balls of my feet

In some ways it is pretty ironic. Most of the bike coalition members live in my part of town are white and affluent. My friend is white and he lives in the under-served under-represented part of town that skews people of color and middle class and working class. I live in the mostly white collar part of town where riders are hipsters or racers and have expensive bikes.
Your friend sounds a like me. Living in a working class neighborhood where all other cyclists besides my fiance and I are either unable to afford a car or have too many DUI's (these are often related). Most people cruise on either BMX bikes or seriously janky mountain style bikes. They typically have no brakes, and dismounts are usually pretty...kinetic.

M.

EDIT: Kat, seeing your Mixte is beginning to sway me towards it...$500 and I'll have an 8 speed IGH in my size...